Monday, November 13, 2006
In Heaven There's No Beer. That's Why We Drink It Here.
Or so the old saying/beer festival motto goes. For those of you who didn't hear it from me already, this past week was Laiwu's beer festival (think Qingdao, divided by 50). Despite its small stature, this event has taught me several things:

  • Being drunk in Chinese is easier than being drunk in English. If you slur your words, remind your companions that it is the "language barrier," not your own personal inability to mix large amounts of alcohol with even larger amounts of alcohol, that is at fault.

  • Drunk karaoke has no cultural limitations. The Japanese may do it the hardest, but the Chinese do it with kung-fu dance moves.

  • You're never too young to get your first hangover. I'm pretty sure I saw a drunk 5-year-old Chinese boy doubled over by a bush and standing next to him was his father - glowing with pride and laughing over his son's first "man's experience."

I may have to take the next week to sleep off the YEAR'S worth of alcohol I managed to consume in the last four days. I spent most of the weekend with acquaintances from the office in an effort to bond and learn Chinese at the same time. But this backfired, as most of my drinking was at the prompting of my colleagues who kept wanting to see me drunk, but kept drinking so much in the process that they were too incoherent to see anything. Well, at least we had some good times (though no one remembers them but me).
posted by Rachel @ 9:35 AM  
BRAND NEW:
SIGN MY GUESTBOOK!
THE WILD WILD EAST: Everything you never knew you didn't know about life on the other side.
In China, the people are represented by two separate, yet equally important groups. The Chinese, who call this land "home," and the expats who migrate here. My name is Rachel. I am an expat. These are my stories.
What You May Have Missed
Archives
A Brief Disclaimer:
This is a satirical site intended for the entertainment of an online audience. None of the features on this site are real (except in my own distorted view of reality), nor are they intended to harm the subjects mentioned. This site uses fictional names in all its stories, except in cases when public figures are being satirized or when I choose to use this site as a platform for someone's public humiliation (usually my own). Any other use of real names is accidental and coincidental (or purposeful, but with good reason).
Welcome!

Despite the trivial nature of my random daily (sometimes weekly) musings, I hope you enjoy your stay at my site. If there is anything you need, don't hesitate to ring up the concierge, because I just travel in style like that. Have a pleasant stay and I hope that you will come see us again soon!

Links
Thanks To
Free Blogger Templates
Blog Directory
Travel Blogs - Blog Top Sites
China Findouter
Ferienhaus Kroatien
Personal Statement Of Purpose
 
 
web page counter
Get a website hit counter here.
#1 Free Link Exchange Directory On The Web - Link Market