Wednesday, May 09, 2007
Chariots of Garbage
Driving down the roads of Beijing, as I do rather often these days, it is common to see big carts (usually brown or blue) attached to bicycles, ambling down the avenue.
These belong to the street sweepers of Beijing. There's one for almost every block you pass. Part of the reasoning behind this is the tendency of the Chinese to litter. They have not yet been indoctrinated with the whole "Give A Hoot, Don't Pollute" spiel. You can tell how effective the EPA's "advertising" has been in the U.S. by the very fact that I still remember it from my television watching at age 7. But I commonly see the nonchalant discard of a wrapper or flick of a cigarette in plain view, only to be scooped up but moments later by one of these quick and agile creatures (I think this is turning into an episode of Crocodile Hunter: Beijing Edition - all it needs is a "Croikey, 朋友!"). Funnier, of course, if you speak the language.
Getting back to the point, while on my way to work today I got stuck behind this scooter that was just inching along. Since my personality dictates that I be impatient and attempt to speed ahead of any who get in my path, I managed to slide in beside him and slip around in front. But when I took a quick glance around, I realized WHY he was merely plodding along.
He had one hand on the handlebars. In the other, a rod with a sharp, pointed end. As he approached a piece of styrofoam on the ground he stabbed it and flicked it back into his garbage bag, all while continuously gliding forward. Would that not be the coolest job ever? Spending your days riding around the city on a small motor scooter, playing "Litter Polo" with a sharp instrument that can be used to frighten off small animals and children? Awesome.
Sorry, Mom. Change of career plans. Shame you had to spend all that money on a private top-tier university...
Perhaps in a later post, I will formally introduce you all to the rules of the latest outdoor gaming trend that's sweeping this Chinese nation (care of yours truly), "Litter Polo."
posted by Rachel @ 2:05 PM  
BRAND NEW:
SIGN MY GUESTBOOK!
THE WILD WILD EAST: Everything you never knew you didn't know about life on the other side.
In China, the people are represented by two separate, yet equally important groups. The Chinese, who call this land "home," and the expats who migrate here. My name is Rachel. I am an expat. These are my stories.
What You May Have Missed
Archives
A Brief Disclaimer:
This is a satirical site intended for the entertainment of an online audience. None of the features on this site are real (except in my own distorted view of reality), nor are they intended to harm the subjects mentioned. This site uses fictional names in all its stories, except in cases when public figures are being satirized or when I choose to use this site as a platform for someone's public humiliation (usually my own). Any other use of real names is accidental and coincidental (or purposeful, but with good reason).
Welcome!

Despite the trivial nature of my random daily (sometimes weekly) musings, I hope you enjoy your stay at my site. If there is anything you need, don't hesitate to ring up the concierge, because I just travel in style like that. Have a pleasant stay and I hope that you will come see us again soon!

Links
Thanks To
Free Blogger Templates
Blog Directory
Travel Blogs - Blog Top Sites
China Findouter
Ferienhaus Kroatien
Personal Statement Of Purpose
 
 
web page counter
Get a website hit counter here.
#1 Free Link Exchange Directory On The Web - Link Market