Monday, February 05, 2007
Every Breath You Take
I know, I know. Again with the Sting references. Well, you know what they say. If it ain't broke...

Getting on with it, I was walking along the street to the supermarket this past Saturday morning and stopped at an intersection, waiting for the pedestrian light to turn green (not that it matters whether or not you have the light, but I thought I'd have a better argument for the police report, should I end up as roadkill). Anyway, I was waiting and there was a motorcycle cop there, waving cars over to the turn lane. And the gears began to turn...

Thought #1: he's issuing speeding tickets or parking citations. But there's no way you can speed when slowing down near a red light in a traffic jam. Plus, these people weren't speeding. As for parking citations, there was no parking on the street - period. There was just no place to do it. So that was out.

Thought #2: maybe there was an accident. That would make sense. And there are certainly plenty of those around these here parts. But I didn't see any damage and - cops or no - there is usually someone screaming their heads off in strings of threatening (but not profane) speech since here, profane speech could get you jailtime. But the car just drove off, as the policeman waved another one over. Strange, no? Yes.

Then I saw it. And I started laughing my head off. The policeman was giving "random" breathalyzer tests.

Now, I know DUI is serious business. There has been a movement against drunk driving here in China that has been building momentum of late. Especially due to the fact that the Chinese don't obey traffic laws, fatalities due to drunken driving are more commonplace than you'd think. However, the concept of "drunk driving" is underreported because injuries and fatalities linked to alcohol consumption were often lumped in with all the others. Now that is all changing.

Why was I laughing then, you may ask. Their methodology in cracking down on DUI offenses was a little, well, ridiculous. This breathalyzer checkpoint? It took place in an office district.

On a SATURDAY.

At 11 o'clock in the MORNING.

I really don't know if that's the most efficient use of anti-DUI resources. Just a suggestion. Try again on a Saturday night, at 1 a.m., in the bar district. Then see what happens. If you really want to shake things up, that is.
posted by Rachel @ 2:23 PM  
BRAND NEW:
SIGN MY GUESTBOOK!
THE WILD WILD EAST: Everything you never knew you didn't know about life on the other side.
In China, the people are represented by two separate, yet equally important groups. The Chinese, who call this land "home," and the expats who migrate here. My name is Rachel. I am an expat. These are my stories.
What You May Have Missed
Archives
A Brief Disclaimer:
This is a satirical site intended for the entertainment of an online audience. None of the features on this site are real (except in my own distorted view of reality), nor are they intended to harm the subjects mentioned. This site uses fictional names in all its stories, except in cases when public figures are being satirized or when I choose to use this site as a platform for someone's public humiliation (usually my own). Any other use of real names is accidental and coincidental (or purposeful, but with good reason).
Welcome!

Despite the trivial nature of my random daily (sometimes weekly) musings, I hope you enjoy your stay at my site. If there is anything you need, don't hesitate to ring up the concierge, because I just travel in style like that. Have a pleasant stay and I hope that you will come see us again soon!

Links
Thanks To
Free Blogger Templates
Blog Directory
Travel Blogs - Blog Top Sites
China Findouter
Ferienhaus Kroatien
Personal Statement Of Purpose
 
 
web page counter
Get a website hit counter here.
#1 Free Link Exchange Directory On The Web - Link Market